Hey bookworms! I decided to take a mini break from book posts. Two posts ago (I think) I made a post about my favorite podcasts and now I decided to make one about my current playlist. This being songs that have been stuck in my head recently or put me in a good mood. I hope you enjoy these!
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World – Lorde cover | I feel that with this song I can just turn up the volume high, lay back, close my eyes, and enjoy. I love the original so so much and I think this is the only cover I actually really like. It’s a song that makes you feel so many different emotions each time.
- Self Control – Laura Branigan | This song always manages to get me into a good dancing mood. I just can’t help but dance around when this song comes up. I even have this on my workout playlist 😀
- Yes Sir, I Can Boogie – Baccara | As with the last song, this always makes me dance. If I dare say, it makes me boogie. Just listen and you’ll find it hard not to move your body around. Sometimes when this comes up, I stop what I’m doing and just dance around with no fucks given (only when I’m home though).
- I’m Still Standing – Elton John | Another song I can’t help but dance around when it starts playing. The lyrics also get to me. Although they are about bouncing back after a heartbreak, I find myself relating to this in terms of me and my depression. My depression can put me in such a dark place and sometimes I just have to stand up to it and take control and say “hey, I’m still standing!” and that’s a win. I’m still here and I’m not going to let my depression win. I’m sorry that got dark and deep real fast. Favorite lyrics: “Don’t you know I’m still standing better than I ever did/ Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid/ I’m still standing after all this time/ Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind”
- Seven Nation Army – Postmodern Jukebox cover | Now, I can honestly say that I hate my appearance and it’s hard for me to see myself as pretty, let alone “sexy” (god, I hate that word). However, this song manages to make me feel good about myself. I love the cabaret jazz tones it has and I’ll admit I’ll even picture myself singing this in a club in the 1930s or something like that. Also, the singer’s voice is amazing for this cover.
- Oblivion – Grimes | This song makes me nostalgic for no reason. I feel like I’m in an episode of Maniac or Stranger Things (or any show/movie with a neon modern 80s vibe – if i described that correctly). Despite it’s upbeat tempo, it’s actually a pretty dark song about sexual assault and its effects so if that triggers you, maybe skip this one.
- That’s Life – Frank Sinatra | Many people might recognize this song from 2019’s Joker. When I heard this song in the theater, the lyrics really got to me. As with I’m Still Standing, I tend to listen to this when I’m trying to gain control of myself when I’m in a depressive episode. Favorite Lyrics: “That’s life (that’s life), I tell ya, I can’t deny it/ I thought of quitting, baby/ But my heart just ain’t gonna buy it/ And if I didn’t think it was worth one single try/ I’d jump right on a big bird and then I’d fly/ I’ve been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate/ A poet, a pawn and a king/ I’ve been up and down and over and out/ And I know one thing/ Each time I find myself layin’ flat on my face/ I just pick myself up and get back in the race“
- More More More – Andrea True Connection | Alright enough deep songs, for now. Found this on TikTok and my goodness you won’t be able to not dance to this song. Makes you want to bring out the bell bottoms and platform shoes and just dance.
- It’s Been a Long, Long Time – Harry James | Following the release of Avenger’s Endgame, this song would make me sob out of happiness (if you know, you know). Over time with the more I listened to it, it made me nostalgic for some lover I had who went off to war and came back. (however, now I think of this song when I think about that special someone and counting the minutes until I can see them again. Ok, I’ve said too much)
- Put Your Head on My Shoulder – Paul Anka | Now we’re getting sappy and hopeless romantic because this has been stuck in my head for months and it never gets old. I’ll admit I even had a dream I sang this to the aforementioned special someone, which I would never ever do because I would be too shy. But now that I think of it I wonder if I actually sang it aloud in my dream… my sister once told me I sleep talk sometimes…. o.o
- Get Ready – The Temptations | I think this was used in a commercial a few years ago and Fergie sampled it in one of her songs, but anyway, it’s a great song that puts me in a good mood.
- Queen of Disaster – Lana Del Rey | I recently discovered this song on Tiktok and I have been obsessed with it ever since. There’s something about this song that makes me feel girly and cute, which are two things I don’t consider myself at all. I also think it would make for some cute movie moment, I don’t know.
And that’s my current playlist. I hope you enjoy these songs as much as I do. I know there’s a lot of oldies on there, but I promise they’re amazing. Let me know what are some of your current favorite songs. I’d love to listen to some new recommendations! 😀