Hey bookworms! I haven’t been posting this month as much as I would’ve like to. There was so much doing on school wise and party planning, I didn’t have the time to sit down and write posts. Anyway, here’s a bookish playlist on Defy the Stars y Claudia Gray. Lately I’ve been really in the mood for space operas (if you have any recommendations, please let me know!). Also, this playlist is a bit shorter than usual.
Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. However, I have left the biggest spoilers at the end and have tagged them as well. First few are minor spoilers.
Synopsis: “She’s a soldier — Noemi Vidal is willing to risk anything to protect her planet, Genesis, including her own life. To their enemies on Earth, she’s a rebel. He’s a machine — Abandoned in space for years, utterly alone, Abel’s advanced programming has begun to evolve. He wants only to protect his creator, and to be free. To the people of Genesis, he’s an abomination. Noemi and Abel are enemies in an interstellar war, forced by chance to work together as they embark on a daring journey through the stars. Their efforts would end the fighting for good, but they’re not without sacrifice. The stakes are even higher than either of them first realized, and the more time they spend together, the more they’re forced to question everything they’d been taught was true.”
- Space Oddity – David Bowie | For Abel who was just a lonely mech out in space. They “tried” to look for him (but to me it feels like they left him on purpose)
- In Your Eyes – badbadnotgood ft. Charlotte Day | The overall sound of the song gives me a “traveling through space” type of vibe. Maybe a song that can play while Abel and Noemi are just cruising in the Deadalus (their ship) with no incoming danger (even if it’s just a brief moment).
- Fox on the Run – Sweet | Something about this song reminds me of space and space adventures.
- Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (Lonely Boy, Lonely Girl) – David Bowie | It’s the same Space Oddity but in Italian. The lyrics tell a different story; very heartbreaking story and serves little relevance to this book but I still liked it enough to use it here. The lyrics talk about a lonely girl who talks to a lonely boy. Asks him where is he going, why is he in so much pain? Then she realizes he has lost un grande amore (a great love) and reminds him the city is filled with love. The lonely boy then replies that he not only love his love but he lost everything with that love(r). The girl tries to comfort him but he already has his mind made up (he wants to join her – aka take his life).
- Across the Universe – The Beatles | I’m just looking at space themed songs at this point.
- To be Human – MARINA | I really, really like the message behind this song and even the music video is powerful. Decided to include this since in the book there’s just war over the planets after the people of Earth are destroying their own world (like what we’re doing) and are trying to take over other planets through violence. I’m just going to link the music video just so you can sort of see where I’m going with this.
- *SPOILER* Dancing in the Dark – Bruce Springsteen | While on Kismet, Noemi and Abel play the part of a young couple seeking refuge. It o happen that there’s a festival happening not long after they arrive and they go as that’s what a couple would do. This can be a song they both danced to… right before disaster strikes. I wanted a fun upbeat song since both Abel and Noemi enjoyed themselves and were even laughing. A very bittersweet moment.
- *SPOILER* The Great Gig in the Sky – Pink Floyd | Ok, for this I have a specific vision for a scene. So the beginning opens up with a very mellow piano and guitar and that can be where Abel and Noemi finally kiss. Before the “drop” that’s when they end their kiss and Noemi asks Abel to do something for her while she sneaks off to her fighter ship. Right at the “drop” (the singing begins) that’s when Abel realizes what she is about to do and tries to go after her (which he sadly fails). While the song slows down, that’s when Abel and Noemi pretty much say their goodbyes and then closes with Abel watching Noemi leave. Fucking tragic, am I right? Just writing this made my heart die a little.
I’ll right I’m going to go cry a little after that last song. Hope you enjoyed this bookish playlist. If you’ve read this book, what did you think? Until next time!