Greetings and Salutations Bookworms!
I know I’ve been kind of lagging with Simon’s playlist, but school’s been kicking me in the butt lately so I took some time to focus on exams and project deadlines. As a result of exams too, I haven’t been reading lately. I feel like I’m a bit behind on my reading goal, but I swear I will catch up. On top of that, my sister is going to give birth any day now (at the time I am writing this-2/16) so I must be alert so I can watch her kids for her.
Before I begin – Disclaimer: there will be some spoilers – proceed at your own risk
Some of the songs included are mentioned in the book and will be marked with (M) for Mentioned.
- Eternal Flame – The Bangles (M)
- This song always reminds me of Pitch Perfect
- Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd (M)
- I think I’d get along with Nick and his ‘weird’ obsession with classic rock
- Ocean Eyes – Billie Eilish
- The way Simon kept describing Cal’s blue eyes reminded me of this song.
- And I thought it was funny how this is in the Everything Everything soundtrack in which the actor who plays Simon also plays Olly.
- Oh Well Okay – Elliot Smith (M)
- I had to look this artist up because I thought it was just a fake singer the author created.
- Between the Bars – Elliot Smith (M)
- Somebody to Love – Queen (M)
- Friday, I’m in Love – The Cure
- A song for Blue and Simon
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson (M)
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison (M)
- Try a Little Tenderness – Otis Redding (M)
- Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper (M)
- Just Like Heaven – The Cure (M)
- Iris – The Goo Goo Dolls
- It reminded me of how Simon wants to know Blue but he’s not read to come out as gay.
- Key Lyrics:
And I’d give up forever to touch you
‘Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be
And I don’t want to go home right now…And I don’t want the world to see me
‘Cause I don’t think that they’d understand
When everything’s meant to be broken
I just want you to know who I am
- I Want the One I Can’t Have – The Smiths
- How could I not include The Smiths especially since they’re in Simon’s The Great Depression playlist (which I may have changed my Dark Days playlist to TGD too)
- Pretty much Simon wanting Cal, but in a way he can’t
- There’s a Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
- Kind of reminded me of Simon waiting for Blue at the festival after his performance.
- Key Lyrics: Take me out tonight
Where there’s music and there’s people
And they’re young and alive
Driving in your car
I never never want to go home
Because I haven’t got one
- What Difference Does It Make? – The Smiths
- My interpretation of the song is that the narrator was blackmailed but their secret was still exposed and despite that the narrator is still ‘fond’ of them. Which is pretty much what happened with Martin and Simon.
- Key Lyrics: The devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole and I lied, and why?
Because you asked me to!
But now you make me feel so ashamed
Because I’ve only got two hands
- Feel Like Makin’ Love – Bad Company
- Must we discuss all the times things got heated between Blue and Simon (even if it was just through email)?
- Electric Love – Børns
- I just like this song and it happened to be one I was listening to at the time.
- Born This Way – Lady Gaga
- Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember at the time that this song was released it was sort of an anthem for the LGBTQ+ community.
- You and I – Lady Gaga
- Another song I happened to be listening to at the time
And that’s a wrap! Have you read Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda? What did you think? Are you going to go see the movie? I hope my sister will still want to go watch it when it comes out (terrible pun). Until Next time!